We've finally reached the end of our countdown, and there was never any doubt that this would be #1 on the list. BDH, Little Buddha and I get the majority of the attention in Clutter, but the Clutter Tree is also a vital member of our little family. He stands out there day after day, night after night, providing the comfort that the rest of us need to clear out the randomness on a regular basis. We close out 2011 by once again paying tribute to a beloved tree.
Thanks for being with us for another year of Clutter, my friends. It's an honor to take this trip with you, and we hope you'll come back for more fun in 2012.
Originally published: 3/11/11
There are many things I like about Clutter Headquarters. There are nine windows, it's in a very quiet building (apart from the neighbors making adult films, but that's a story for another day), and about 75% of anywhere you'd need to go to during the week is no more than a 15 minute walk away (with a T stop one block over to get you to the remaining 25%). Indeed, these are all positive things that I enjoy about the "office," but there's also one thing that's unique to HQ which is also great: I have a tree.
Clutter HQ is located in a corner unit on the top floor of the building, and there's a tree right on the corner. I should know what kind of tree it is, but trees aren't my strong suit. All I can say is that it's big and awesome. It's an impressive tree with many branches, and those branches have an incredible span (even longer than Kevin Garnett's.) In fact, the branches stretch all the way from one end of HQ to the other, covering some portion of eight out of nine windows. No matter what room you go into in this vast mansion, there's a tree branch to greet you.
Waking up in the morning? There are the branches to say hello. Making a nice medium DD to start the day? More branches keeping you company while the water boils. Brushing your teeth and taking a shower? There's a frosted window so people can't see into the bathroom, but if you open it, there are the branches. And finally of course, when clearing out the Clutter, there's the full tree in all of its glory everywhere I look. It's a comforting feeling.
I am the only person who gets the full effect of this tree, which is why I've come to think of it as "mine." The first and second floor occupants only get part of the trunk covering one window. Suckers. (You may think me selfish. I would remind you, this blog represents the views of an only child. What's mine is mine, and by the way, what's yours probably ought to be mine.)
I've watched the tree bend and quiver during all of the storms we've had over the last few months, and it dawned on me how much it would change the nature of this space if it wasn't here. The tree asks nothing of me. It's just present, day in and day out, sort of standing guard over this space. I dig my tree. I have since my first day here.
The tree's 400 branches are all barren right now, but I see all of the buds on each one of them, just waiting for their chance to make their grand entrance for the year. Once the leaves come back, I have great shade in every room. I can hardly wait (because really, who needs to be able to see into the local 7-11?)
I wish I could show you a picture of my tree. You'd understand why I'm such a big fan. Google Maps has a terrific shot of it, so if you know where I am, you can see for yourself (and if you don't know where I am, there's probably a reason I never gave you the address, so just take my word for it.)
It's good every now and again to take a step back and celebrate the simple things in life that we appreciate. I have no idea how long this tree has been here, but it must have been a while at this point. I hope it's here for a many years to come, long after Clutter HQ moves on to a new space. Others should have the opportunity to enjoy it, but for now, it's my tree, and I appreciate it very much.