Come on in, I was just making some coffee. Happy Friday to you all. Congratulations on making it through another week. What's the plan for the weekend? It's shaping up to be a rough little stretch here at Clutter Headquarters. BDH spent most of last night pouting because there wasn't a Red Sox game to watch, and now it looks like I'm going to have to talk to him about the future of Terry Francona. That's not going to be fun, but we'll get through it somehow. Okay, the coffee's ready. Help yourself to a cup and let's close out the week with a little Clutter.
Theo Epstein and Terry Francona held their end of the year press conference yesterday, and apparently the 2011 Red Sox weren't exactly the most team-focused group we've ever had. By most reports, Terry Francona sounded like he's had it with Boston, and the Francona era might be over by the time you read this. If true, that's a major disappointment in Clutter Headquarters, one that's bigger than the team collapse this year. Francona has been the best manager in Red Sox history, and I can't imagine who they could find to replace him that wouldn't be a step down (apart from Joe Maddon, who clearly isn't leaving Tampa Bay any time soon). I just hope he'd be leaving on his terms, because the Red Sox management is out of their bleeping minds if they think that someone else could have done a better job with this team.
Obviously Tito gets credit for two World Series wins, but he's also done a masterful job of handling the intense scruitny and all of the other nonsense that comes with managing in Boston. I met Tito at Mike Lowell's Casino Night event a few years ago and told him that I was moving out of Boston whenever he left the Red Sox. He laughed and said, "Aww shucks, don't do that." I'll have to rethink my stance here. I don't know if BDH is prepared for a move out of Clutter Headquarters, and I'd really miss the Clutter Tree, but this is a bummer. If he really is gone by the end of today, then cheers, Tito. You have a fan for life.
After doing intense research (i.e. reading comments in my Facebook news feed), I've come to the conclusion that Bank of America is going to lose a number of customers after implementing a $5 monthly fee for debit card use.
GOP presidential candidate Jon Huntsman is putting all of his chips on an upset win in the New Hampshire primary.
Mike Huckabee will interview Mitt Romney on Fox "News" this weekend. I'd be more excited about it if Huckabee supporter Chuck Norris did the interview instead.
Should we take bets on how many more government shutdown threats there will be in 2011? I'll set the over/under at 4.5
The "Occupy Wall Street" protest could be getting much larger very soon.
A new study of millions of tweets came to the conclusion that people are happier before they go to work and then when they leave work. That sounds like groundbreaking research. I understand, it's cool that they did a study involving social media. I just hope the next one comes up with something better than, "We found by tracking Twitter and Facebook use that people tend to go to sleep at night, and then they wake up in the morning."
90% of Americans say the economy stinks, according to a new CNN poll. I wonder what the other 10% are thinking?
Is Kobe Bryant really going to play basketball in Italy?
Okay kids, that's going to do it for now. I was looking at this clip from earlier this of the Red Sox successfully picking a runner off first base to end the inning, only to have it be called a balk instead, and Terry Francona being thrown out of the game. That seems to sum up the entire season rather nicely and it's today's, "Clip of the Day." Have a good one, my friends. Don't forget to look both ways before crossing the street, and we'll see you back here again soon.